Senior Visual Designer, Creative Job Description Template
Reports to: Vice President of Marketing
Manages Others: Indirectly
An individual who has an excellent eye for design, imaginative, well-organized, good-natured, dedicated, flexible, and passionate. A self-starter, who identifies opportunities for synergy, project, and process improvement, with a holistic view of creative collaboration. Brings an advanced understanding of visual and experience design, storytelling, typography, composition, and color theory. Serves as a creative leader within the organization for purposes of facilitating processes and the development of artistic styles used across the company.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- In partnership with Marketing Leadership, actively facilitates the development of creative elements to influence the tone and style of art used across the organization.
- Partners with managers, internal clients, and other creative team members to ensure the project meets creative strategy/project objectives.
- Considers technology and organizational requirements and designs solutions that complement business strategy.
- Contributes to the creation of design concepts through participation in, and when designated, organizing and facilitating, brainstorms, and other idea-generating sessions.
- Helps establish the look and feel of concepts.
- Has a competent knowledge of business objectives, brand, and competitive landscape to inform and create high-impact, insightful design concepts.
- Articulates creative concepts and designs internally to the team.
- Meets with internal clients to help understand business needs, solve for pain points, and identify opportunities for creative solutions.
- Leverages a competent understanding of print, digital, motion, experiential, and visual design fundamentals and techniques to generate an effective range of designs/layouts for all elements of the creative solution that address program objectives and are visually appealing and motivating.
- Expands personal knowledge of design and current state-of-the-art techniques and processes. Maintains a good understanding of many best practices and advises on the deployment of said methods when they could help with project or process improvement.
- Designs mood boards, comps (with and without wireframes), concept sketches, presentation decks, and storyboards under the minimal direction of the project lead.
- Responsible for asset creation and production across multiple formats, including print, digital, motion, and experiences.
- Researches and reviews suitable illustrations, photography or stock photos and sound.
- Prepares and presents layouts/samples to marketing leadership for direction and approval. Incorporates management and/or team feedback as appropriate. Ensures approved layouts conform to style guides.
- Stewards creative projects with the necessary research and presents completed work to business stakeholders when appropriate.
- Collaborates with management to advise vendors, consultants, and outside resources on business needs and/or expected project outcomes. Helps review anticipated deliverables from vendors, consultants, and outside resources meet the artistic style of the brand or project
- Contributes to and maintains style guides/online design libraries to accompany final deliverables.
- Works enthusiastically, respectfully, and collaboratively with other project team members, has a clear understanding of how a project team operates, their responsibilities throughout a project, and what is expected in critiques and team meetings.
- Consults with marketing leadership, account managers, and internal clients to evaluate individual project needs and proactively raise issues that may impact the quality or timing of deliverables and offer solutions
- Actively participates in team meetings to discuss project parameters and identify opportunities for synergy or collaboration.
- Ensures that internal deadlines, timetables, and approval procedures are adhered to for assigned project phases.
- Manages and prioritizes work effectively, and proactively escalates conflicts with workloads.
- Organizes file management and maintain image resource files.
- Helps develop tools and recommendations to improve creative workflows and processes that impact deliverables.
- Actively engages in providing artistic insight and advice during project collaboration with peers.
- Responsible for completing self-review, inputting time consistently, and being aware of personal utilization target.
Experience & Educational Requirements:
- Besides a Bachelors degree in Graphic Design, Fine Arts, Multi-Media Design (or a related field), you have the following:
- Strong visual design portfolio
- 5+ years of design experience
- Demonstrated ability to utilize feedback/direction from others to generate multiple design explorations and iterate designs to the satisfaction of stakeholders.
- Has managed multiple assignments at the same time (including organizing and prioritizing workload and working efficiently under pressure in a deadline-driven environment).
- Solid understanding of the digital landscape, including everything from websites, immersive, and personalized online experiences to online campaigns, social media, and mobile.
- Experience with professional printing methods and knowledge of material options for print and environmental design applications.
- Creative problem-solving skills that enable you to evaluate a creative approach, brainstorm, and facilitate unexpected, original, and innovative ideas.
- Careful attention to detail and sensitivity to version control issues.
- Entrepreneurial spirit that not only identifies opportunities for improvement, but that fuels the dedication required to create an impact on projects, processes, and people.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is required to walk; sit; type on a computer keyboard; talk or hear; answer the telephone; look at the computer screen. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment can be high at times. Sit at desk for prolonged periods of time and have the ability to work with computer tools and applications.